If you found us by searching ‘soccer ball near me’ you have come to the right place! European Sports has been providing Chicagoland with the best soccer gear since 1997. Our team of soccer specialists can help you choose the correct soccer ball for your athlete. Selecting the right soccer ball is about more than a certain brand and flashy design. Soccer balls come in multiple sizes and that typically depend on the age and level of soccer play.
Your child’s coach may provide balls during practice, but it’s always a good idea to have a quality soccer ball of your own so you can practice at home. Fortunately, you don't need to break the bank to purchase a soccer ball that is adequate for your child's needs. Generally, the more a ball gets used, the better its quality should be. You can expect to spend $20-$40 for a good quality soccer ball depending on your child’s experience level and how often they play.BUY YOUR SOCCER BALL TODAY
The Best Soccer Ball for your Player
European Sports is Chicagoland’s destination to purchase the best soccer balls. Our experienced retail team of soccer specialists can help you select the proper soccer ball size as well as all of your soccer equipment and apparel needs. We carry the best soccer balls from top name brands at a range of competitive prices.
Which Soccer Ball Size is Right for My Child?
Soccer balls come in a range of sizes, colors, materials, and prices, so it's understandable if you're not sure which ball to buy for your player. Most youth players use a soccer ball size from 3 to 5, depending on their age group and league regulations. Before purchasing a soccer ball for your child, check with the league to determine what size their age group uses in practices and games. Buy the same size so they get used to the soccer ball size when they practice.
- Size 3 Soccer Ball: This size is the most commonly used in youth soccer for players ages 8 and under. Sometimes referred to as “juniors,” this ball is the smallest soccer ball size with a circumference of 23-24 inches and is used for competitive junior games. It is well proportioned to younger players, making it easier for them to develop ball control.
- Size 4 Soccer Ball: This size soccer ball is used for ages 8-12 years old as players begin the transition from learning the basics of the game to actually developing skills. The soccer ball size is 25-26 inches in circumference, and the weight of the ball makes it easier for players in this age group to develop skills such as dribbling, as well as the proper technique for throw-ins.
- Size 5 Soccer Ball: Soccer players aged 12 years and older, will use a size 5 soccer ball that is 27-28 inches in circumference. Adults and professionals use a size 5 ball as well. We recommend you select a ball that is stamped “FIFA Approved” or “FIFA Inspected” to ensure that it meets the size and weight requirements.
You may also see size 1 soccer balls, often called “mini's” or “skills balls” and are often used as souvenirs. Size 1 soccer balls are also favored by older players who use them to focus on footwork and ball control. In reality, most youth soccer players don’t use them.
Soccer Ball Maintenance
European Sports soccer team members recommend basic maintenance and care for your soccer ball to keep it at its best:
- Write your child’s name on the ball in more than one place to reduce the chances of it getting scooped up and tossed into the coach's bag of balls.
- Refrain from sitting on the ball. Kids often sit on their soccer ball while their coach is talking during practice. Putting too much pressure on the ball for a long time by sitting (or standing) on it might permanently deform it.
- Properly inflate the ball according to FIFA regulations. Soccer ball sizes 3 to 5 should all be inflated to the same air pressure: 8.5 - 15.6 PSI. Avoid over inflating which makes the ball harder and more difficult to control. It also puts players at greater risk of injury should it impact their head or body.
- Store the soccer ball correctly so that it lasts longer. Don’t leave it out in the rain, snow, or other extreme weather conditions.
If you would like expert advice on how to select the best soccer ball or the correct soccer ball size, visit our team of specialists at your local European Sports store in Schaumburg, Glen Ellyn or Naperville. Our team has over 700 years of soccer experience and can provide expert assistance on selecting the right soccer ball. European Sports has been family owned and operated since 1997 and our customers are part of the family!BUY YOUR SOCCER BALL TODAY